- Identify your audience and write to that level. If you are writing for legal professionals don’t hesitate about using some of the jargons in your profession. Don’t worry if your grandmom doesn’t understand the article. If you keep it too simple or too complex your readers will be quite pissed off.
- Write regularly. Nature likes regularity. And so do people. Keep your blog constantly alive, that helps your readers as well as improving your search engine scores.
- Get your own domain name. Forget about *.wordpress.com and other free blog hosting tools. If you are a serious blogger you need to cultivate your brand.
- Invest money in a good SEO tool. While you don’t want you writing be forced or keyword ridden, keep in mind of the basic SEO tips. If you are using wordpress you might want to try this SEO plugin that does a great job in helping you with SEO.
- Keep your focus. Let us say you are writing a tech blog and get an idea about movies. While occasional posts tangential to the topic is ok, as long as you can justify how it is broadly connected to your theme, don’t go out of focus. Readers expect focus and consistency in blogs. Avoid the Jack of All trades tendency.
- Find ways to make users stick. Try to embed your Facebook page, Twitter accounts and email subscription options in the sidebar. That way people can constantly interact with your blog even outside it.
- Be upfront and transparent with your business relationships. If you are working for Amazon then be careful when you are writing about them and include a disclaimer stating your relationship with them.
- Take your articles beyond blogosphere. Post them in your Twitter profile and Facbook page and solicit feedback from your network.
- Use a simple and clear theme that doesn’t distract the readers while lets you organize the content effectively.
- Constantly work on original and well-researched content. Respect your audience and their time. And they will respect yours.
- Engage with other bloggers in your field and contribute to them by commenting on their posts with intelligent opinions and writing guest posts for them.
- Allow users to share the content easily across multiple networks. Embed Share buttons for each post.